Monday, August 06, 2007

Take It From Mom: Lindsay On Her Comeback

CLOE POISSON, August 26, 2006How often do we get to read a tennis player writing for something other than their own tour's website? The Hartford Courant has asked Lindsay Davenport to write about her comeback after giving birth to her firstborn. I like it. I like it alot. Not that Lindsay has ever been tight-lipped about her life, but her column will give us insight into her decision to return to competitive action so soon after becoming a mother.

AFTER WINNING the Pilot Pen in 2005, Lindsay Davenport is forced to retire in the 2006 final against Justine Henin because of a shoulder injury. Davenport will play doubles this year in New Haven.

August 6, 2007

Three-time Grand Slam champion Lindsay Davenport, 31, has been away from professional tennis for nearly a year. Her son, Jagger, born in June, helped see to that. But the former No. 1 player in the world and holder of 51 WTA Tour singles titles has decided to make a comeback. It starts in the doubles draw of the Pilot Pen tournament in New Haven Aug. 19-25. Along the comeback trail she'll periodically share her thoughts in The Courant.

One year ago I was coming back from injury and the Pilot Pen was one of the first tournaments I played in. I made it to the finals, but had to pull out due to an injury. It was disappointing but at the same time rewarding to know that I could still compete with the best players in tennis. I continued on the comeback trail at the U.S. Open, and played a few other tournaments. I was looking forward to another great year in 2007, but later that fall I became pregnant. I believed my career was over.

I was grateful that the thing that ended my career was pregnancy and not a terrible accident or injury. I had an amazing career and was completely at peace with moving on to this new part of my life. I had dreamed about having kids someday, and was filled with anticipation about the new life that was about to come into my world.


Read More

0 comments: